Saturday, April 7, 2012

Odds & Ends from My Morning Run

I'm currently training for a half marathon in Champaign-Urbana on April 28th. We are home visiting family for Easter this weekend so I had to do my long run in Neoga. I did 11 miles this morning and since Neoga is only about a mile wide, that led to several laps around my hometown. I encountered so many things while I was running - some good, some bad. All in all though, I love this town. Maybe that's why I still find it way easier to get motivated to run in this town than anywhere else in the world.

Here's what I saw:
  • Some friendly people pulling next to me in their car to chat and say hello - there really is no way to work out in a small town without someone stopping to talk or offer you a ride.
  • A dog that looked a little too big for the small leash tying him to a tree. I was glad he was gone when I came back by. 
  • A grandfather and grandson playing pitch and catch in their front yard
  • The "No Parkin" sign still hanging up on the "drive through" liquor store wall
  • People setting up for the town Easter egg hunt at the park
  • My sister and brother-in-law who were out doing their long run too
  • A woman smoking in a car with the windows rolled up with two kids in the car
  • A family stopped me to get directions to the high school. In this age of technology, there is still a need to ask for directions.
  • A baseball game at the high school
  • A sign in a yard describing the rate of autism in this country - the number had recently been updated to read 1 in 88
  • Lots of friendly people waving as they drove by me
  • An endless number of houses that looked warm and welcoming with lots of Easter decor
  • Several signs outside of local churches saying "Join us on Easter Sunday"
  • Tar bubbles on the surface of sloped rural roads
  • Several American Flags flying
  • Trains, trains, and more trains - luckily I timed all of them perfectly so I didn't have to wait
  • My little girl and hubby and my nephews waiting for me in the front yard when I was DONE! 

3 weeks until race day!

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this post. While I can't share your inspiration to run by being in Neoga ;) I can relate to the thoughts you encountered while taking in our small hometown. I have to say the highlight of my run that morning was seeing you. :) Mostly because I saw you, but also because by that point I was done running laps in Neoga. :)

    ReplyDelete