So I went for a jog this morning. My fitness level is pathetic and I'm starting completely from scratch. I've probably ran less than 10 times since January. Being that it was 100 degrees out yesterday and that it's going to be close to that again today, I figured today was the day to get back out there and get running again...brilliant.
I did manage to get out the door before 9 am and the heat really wasn't as bad as I expected. However, since I haven't run much lately, my iPod is completely dead and I had to borrow John's. This usually wouldn't be a big deal because we listen to enough of the same music that I figured I'd find something on there to keep me motivated while I huffed and puffed along my 3 mile route.
I'm so completely out of shape that I barely heard any of the songs that were playing. I was putting all my energy into moving and breathing. As I was really struggling in the last mile though, I did hear the lyrics of one song, "I can barely breathe." Really?! This is what John has on his iPod to run too? Of course as that song played on and on all I could hone in on was "I can barely breathe." Even though the song was really making me focus on how much I was struggling and even though it had a slow beat and was not a good song to run to at all, I decided to wait it out and see what song was next.
So the "I can barely breathe song ends" and what do I hear next? "The distance is what's killing me and I can barely breathe." Seriously?! First of all, you'd think the band could have come up with something a little more original. Plus, I was really looking forward to hearing anything, but "I can barely breathe" again.
I just kept listening though. John had his iPod on shuffle mode and I'm too unfamiliar with his fancy next generation nano (and too out of shape) to worry about changing the bands at that point. I suppose I could have moved on to the next song, but I was honestly a little worried to see what could possibly be next.
So even though I'm pretty out of shape, even though my run was hot and sticky, and even though the music totally brought me down, I think I will go back out there and try again tomorrow. I can only go up from here, right?
Oh, and on a truly positive note - I saw my first 2 willy worms of the season on my run! I'm so ready for fall and this is a sure sign that it is on it's way! The first one I saw was tan and the second one was completely white/almost clear. I think Judy Frasier would say that means either a mild winter (tan) or lots of ice and snow (white). I'll hope for the latter!
Good job on getting out there to run! I just keep thinking about how much exercising is going to stink once I am allowed to try it again. I'm getting so lazy and comfortable on my couch every day. I'm going to try not to turn into the 500 lb. woman after I have this baby!! Every time I even think about running I realize I'm out of breath :)
ReplyDeleteAnd, yay for willy worms! A true sign of fall. Oh and that is funny that you mentioned Judy Frasier...I totally forgot about her until now.
Enjoy your running!
Already texted to tell you I loved this post, but just had to thank you again for such a great title! :)
ReplyDelete