Things I miss about California:
- Friends - Facebook has truly allowed me to stay in touch and keep up with what is going on with my friends on the west coast. I miss them dearly and can't wait to visit!
- The Food - The food in California is AMAZING. The food in Illinois just doesn't compare. We at least have Chicago nearby, but it's nothing like living right in the middle of Sonoma County and so close to San Fran. When we were living in Rhonert Park, we had "The Red Grape" nearly once a week. Now, we get our choice of chain restaurants.
- The Wine - yes, it's related to the food above, but the wine in California deserves it's own category. At least we can get good wine here (shipped from California). Still, there's nothing like sipping a little vino in Napa Valley.
- The Ferry - one of our favorite things to do was take the Ferry from Larkspur to San Francisco. It's really just public transportation, but for us it was a great way to take in the sights and is now a treasured memory.
- The Golden Gate Bridge - I used to be so afraid of this beautiful giant because of my fear of earthquakes. I grew to love it though and really miss seeing it appear right before us as we would drive through the hills and into the city.
- The Ocean - living 20 minutes from the ocean was such a luxury. John and I took full advantage of it and drove out there a couple of times every month. It's so big...almost scary to think about how big it really is. It's amazingly peaceful though. I really miss the sound of the steady rush of water coming in over, and over, and over, and over.
- The Weather - It's sunny California weather. Who can complain? I'll never forget sitting on the terrace at Gloria Ferrer Winery the weekend before Thanksgiving. It was 75 and sunny. John had talked to his brother Gary back in IL the same day and it was 40 cloudy and windy.
- Pedestrians have the right of way - In California, cars actually stop and let pedestrians cross the street. If a pedestrian attempts to go before a car in Illinois, the driver will look at you as if you just cut them off. You are actually lucky if they even notice you were trying to cross.
- Green Living - You aren't crazy for bringing your own bags to the grocery store and they actually pick your recycling up along with your trash. I will say, you've come along way central Illinois. Since moving back, we notice a lot more practices in place that are better for the planet and all of us. I'm still waiting for my recycling to be picked up though.
- Whole Foods & Trader Joes - Multiple locations of these stores within minutes of our house. At least we have a Fresh Market in Bloomington. I'd rather starve than eat Walmart produce.
- The Shopping - Obviously the shopping in San Francisco was fabulous. (John even took me to Union Square one year before Christmas. He put up with the crowds and hardly complained. Agreeing to shop in SF two weeks before Christmas makes him a saint.) Even Santa Rosa had good stores though. I could shop in stores that were 10 minutes away that now I can't get to unless I head to Chicago.
- The landscape - Who wouldn't like living in a place that looks like Italy?
- The entertainment - We had access to so many great venues for entertainment. My personal favorite was seeing Wicked in the city where it all started. John and I both loved Joel McHale.
Things I love about Illinois:
- Family & friends - I'm so grateful that I can just hop in the car and drive a few minutes or a couple of hours and be near so many of my friends and family. Now that we have Kate, I'm even more grateful that we are so close to our parents and some of our siblings and Kate's cousins.
- The Weather - I LOVE SNOW! While I could get it in Tahoe whenever I wanted, there is something magical about the anticipation of snow each year. Plus, we actually get snow days in Illinois.
- Church - It's so much more enjoyable going to church in central Illinois. I know we should be in church regardless of whether we enjoy it or not. Still, being in a church full of young families is so much more fulfilling than being the only couple in church that is under the age of 50.
- The traffic...or lack of it - Spending an hour going 5 miles isn't fun for anyone. It takes us the same amount of time to drive home to Neoga as it took to drive to the airport in California.
- Air Conditioning - Our realtor in CA told us that only 20% of the homes in Sonoma County have AC and that we really didn't need it there. Ha! I'll never forget the night that it was 110 degrees outside and the carpet in our living room was so warm we thought it was going to spontaenously combust.
- Safety - I definitely feel much safer in Illinois. I couldn't really go for a jog in California unless I stayed in my neighborhood. Bloomington is about as close to Mayberry as you can get.
- The landscape - there's something comforting about living around a bunch of cornfields. You probably have to be born here to feel that way.
- Chicago - I'm living 2 hours away from my favorite city now and it offers me many of the things that are on the list above from California.
- No airplanes - I only get on an airplane for fun now. I actually haven't been on one since we moved. That's ok though. Flying 16 times in 2 years is enough to last me for a little while.
- My house - I love owning our home again. Even though we were in a house in CA, it's just not the same until you are in a house that you own.
- My home - I was born and raised here. It's my home.
California Dreamin
Midwest Living
I am so glad you moved back to IL or we would not be friends today! Also, couldn't agree more about not ever eating Walmart produce and living in the middle of cornfields! :o)
ReplyDelete